Introduction to an Aspiring Polymath

Hey everybody!

My name is Arti Patel and I'm a senior at OU studying International Security (IS) and Economics . The coolest part about being an IS major is that we have flexibility in the sense that we get to align our own interests with what region or field we are interested in studying by defining what "security" means to us individually. For example, you could have a focus on securing your nation from external threats and go into the field of defense or aim to join the FBI, you can focus on securing the cyber world and study cybersecurity, or you could also want to secure the quality of life for those around the world and have a focus on international aid and development. For me personally, I strongly believe that security is having the resources needed to sustain the lives of individuals and their society to create an environment in which the people can thrive. For my own interest in the field, I want to focus on the security of our most basic, yet most necessary, resource that we need to sustain our society: water. I'm interested in conflict over transboundary bodies of water (particular in South and East Asia) and also the economics of water and its commercialization. Throughout my time at OU, I have found China to be my favorite country to study and I hope I get to carry my love for the country into my future study, career, and travels.

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people walking, people standing and outdoor

This is a photo of my dad and I in San Fransisco's Chinatown, my favorite city in the United States. (Source: My mother took this photo of us on my phone in May 2018)

Some random facts about me:
  • I'm a Canadian. You can check out this post of mine if you want to learn a little about my favorite place in Canada that embodies my love for the country.
  • I'm very passionate about education. Two years ago, my friends asked me if I wanted to help them start an organization which aims to provide academic resources to students in Norman who have the most limited access to them and since then, we have provided academic mentorship to around 20 kids a week. That was a shameless plug meant to catch the attention of anyone who would like to mentor a middle school or high school student. You can check out our website or message me if you're interested in helping us make an impact on the next generation!
  • I'm an aspiring polymath. I always thought that when studying IS, what I mostly needed was a strong knowledge of history, politics, and geography. It wasn't until my friend who loved philosophy made me understand that what I can learn from delving into other disciplines such as philosophy, ethics, and economics, is very crucial in strengthening my ability to solve problems and make the strongest and most equitable decisions. 
  • I hope to study abroad in China. I'm in love with Chinese politics, culture, history, art, and the study of its economy and environment.
  • I hope to attend law school after I graduate in May 2019!

Comments

  1. Hi Arti, My name is Selena and I am a senior too, but studying Microbiology. I love your name! That is a great focus for your broad degree field. Micro is broad as well in the sense that you could work in pharmacology agriculture, or many other areas beyond working with diseases (but that is where I happen to want to work myself). If you have time to comment back, has your interest in water security (I’m not sure how else to phrase it haha) ever crossed paths with the laws pertaining to gathering rainwater? Many states have made it illegal for their citizens to be allowed to collect rainwater on their property – something I always thought was unfair, but I haven’t looked very far into the reasons why they may need the restrictions. Your major is definitely one of the more unique ones I have encountered!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again, Arti! I just left a comment at your India blog, but I wanted to chime in here that of course you will find great environmental themes in the Myth-Folklore reading too... and if you want to do a China-inspired project in this class, that would be great! You can see the Chinese story collections that I've found online, and I'm sure there are more out there too. That might be something you'll want to explore when you get to the project brainstorming later this week.
    And here's a China question: are you familiar with Ken Pomeranz's work? He was my summer camp coach at a very nerdy high school summer camp way back in 1979! Now of course he is a famous China scholar, and I am guessing his research interests overlap with some of yours too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sound of the IS major! It's so funny, I'm a senior at OU, but there are still so many majors I have never heard of yet. I think that's my favorite thing about introduction posts in every class, especially the ones outside my major, because you learn so many more interesting things about the university that way. Good luck with your goals to study in China and to study law after graduating. Those are good goals for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Arti,
    I found it interesting that with an IS major you have control with what you want to do with it. i also love how you are setting your goals to help people's basic rights for security rather than find a nice cushy government job. I also love how you want to work in Asia which is a part of the word I would like to visit one day. It is also cool that you are Canadian. I hope to hear more from you during semester.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Arti,
    I am very interesting with your major, to become an IS. However, i am more impressive with your goal, to become a lawyer. I am a senior at OU and graduate May 2019 also. Before i came here, I took International law. My dream is after i graduate i want to learn about international business law in Viet Nam, but not here. Anyway, The picture of you is very awesome.
    I hope you will achieve your goals and congrats for your upcoming graduation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Arti!
    I think studying International Security is a very interesting career path. I could see how that would be beneficial to joining FBI or applying to a Law program. I had never thought about studying the rights to different bodies of water. But I'm surprised that the thought of it never crossed my mind since I know so many people in the oil field and I'm sure they have to deal with things like that as they do with mineral rights. That educational mentoring program you've started sounds pretty awesome, I may have to look into that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Arti! I think it's awesome that IS is such a diverse and customizable field. I can see why you chose it. I was born near Canada but not it. Buffalo, New York is my birthplace. Which is about 15 minutes from Toronto. I've been there a few times and I love it! However, that's the only Canadian city I've been to. I'm also somewhat of an aspiring polymath. I like to look at the connections that all fields of study and practice share. It's very interesting! Good luck with your future endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Arti! I'm also wanting to go law school after I graduate! Best of luck on the LSAT and searching for the right school! I think it is great that you find valuable the areas of philosophy and ethics international studies/economics, I am fully supportive of the idea that most areas of study ought to be handled in an interdisciplinary fashion. I kind of went the opposite way, majoring in philosophy but choosing to tackle issues of policy, economics, race, and gender whenever possible in my classes because I think philosophy is at its best when it is utilized in real-world scenarios. I hope you get your chance to study abroad or work in China!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Arti! I think your IS major sounds really interesting. It is nice when students are able to put their own interests into their major. It definitely makes a difference! I think that your mentoring program sounds really great. It is awesome that you and your friends created that organization to help younger kids get mentors. China seems like a really interesting place to visit, and study abroad! I hope that you are able to visit China sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey there Arti! First of all, I have never heard of International Security as a major before, but it sounds really cool. It definitely makes you sound like a spy and that is a good thing. I recently visited West Canada this past summer, and I fell in love. It's so beautiful and I would love to see Toronto someday too! China would be an amazing place to study, so I hope you get there someday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Arti! You are INCREDIBLE! Let me just start with that. You are an inspirational figure in my life and I hope you know that. I really hope that you get to study in China because all of your dreams should get to come true. I look forward to reading your stories and getting to know you more through them. I am also interested in just going through all your favorites that you listed here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Arti!

    I'm a microbiology Senior, and it's really incredible how often something so basic as water is taken for granted. Clean water is a huge factor for so many people, and so many diseases. Serious respect for tackling an issue like that, and I wish you the very best of luck with law school following graduation!

    I cannot wait to see Canada; it's going to be my next vacation after I graduate!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts